Family

Family

my favorite things

  • Alaska's mountains
  • Attending the Temple
  • Beau when he's watching a funny movie
  • Child logic
  • Children Laughing
  • Christmas Morning
  • Eternal Perspective
  • Family
  • Finding the perfect shoes
  • Girls Night
  • Going for walks
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Learning new things
  • Mary Kay
  • My Kids
  • Our Dogs
  • Pictures of my kids
  • Playing my Guitar
  • Red leaves
  • Snow on Christmas Eve
  • Texas
  • The gulf of Mexico, Florida coast
  • The harvest moon
  • The Hunger Games
  • Watching old people with thier spouses

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

PDD-NOS or A-Typical Autism

I'm doing this to get it out and face it head on. Daniel has been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified. Which is an Autism Spectrum Disorder.He also has a processing disorder, which means everything going in takes longer to be processed and put into categories, and it is harder for him to retrieve information, if he can at all. He now will begin therapy for language, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and Developmental therapy. the dev. therapy is to help him learn social cues and ways to cope with certain situations. We are still waiting for test results dealing with what doctors call Ataxia. Which addresses the balance and coordination problems. We are glad to know what exactly is going on inside of him, and I feel as though I can now use some strategies to help all of us, deal with this. We always knew Daniel was special and there was something different going on with him but I never new what it was. I am glad I finally found a doctor who would listen and not give me excuses for his odd behavior. It will be a long road but I know we will make it. I don't know what his future holds but now I feel as though we can give him the best chance of reaching his goals and creating a learning environment at school for him to learn, the way he learns best, not the way they expect you to learn. I feel like we have answers as to why he can't swim, why he still has training wheels, why he doesn't ask to play at other peoples houses, why he can't tie his shoes, has to have certain things just so, why he can't stand the smell of cheerios or gold fish. Why he needs a certain blanket, shoes, elastic waisted pants. Why he obsesses over Super Heroes, and the color Red. Why he doesn't play with cars, trucks or planes. Why he sits in the same spot in the car, at the table and on the couch everyday. Why he can't stop talking about certain things for days at a time. Why he eats the same thing for breakfast everyday. Why when he was younger he would eat things that were not food. The list goes on and on. I feel better now getting it all out there, and not holding it all inside. I wish as a mother I would have tried a little harder to get a referral, but I did the best I could. If you're still reading thank you for your support!

3 comments:

Jodie said...

Glad that y'all finally got some answers. Daniel is such a sweet kid. You are a wonderful mother!

lavendergrl said...

Hugs, babe! It's the beginning of carving out his future. Different doesn't mean limited; it means a bigger spirit that a normal body/brain wouldn't have challenged enough. It's tough, I know. But God chooses special mothers for these children. That would be you.

Belle said...

I am so glad you're starting to get answers! Daniel is such a wonderful boy. It must be great to have a direction to start going in with a more definite idea of what to do. :) I'm late reading this, but I love you and keep you in my prayers. (((hugs)))